Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Full Working Week

So, I'm sure you guys are excited about some of the future features we plan to add to the site, however, we can't always be working on new features. We have to divide our time up between maintenance and development. This week, at least, we've got to work on some fixes for the CC browser and the site itself.

We got an e-mail last week saying that the “Sever Load” feature wasn't working on the NES. (I know the NES is the only system that has it and that the others should, but I'm always so busy...) At first I rejected the idea. “I know it works, I tested that thing I don't know how many times!” I told Jonathan when he told about the bug report. Well, we tested it again and it didn't work. So, I crawled around in the code until I found the problem. We sent the guy a zipped version of the new DLL and it worked. However, we still have to roll it into a new install/update so it will work for everybody.

While we're doing that we're going to go ahead and make a few minor changes to the browser. We've got a list of changes we want to make including making the Facebook button a “Social” button and adding a bunch of features. For instance, we want to add the ability to turn the status update on and off. I only mention this to let you know what we plan to do in the near future. This week we are just going to fix that bug and add another “Upgrade Button” for free accounts. As I mentioned before this will lead to more features for you already-paying customers.

The site also needs a bit of work. I know it doesn't look perfect now, but it won't look perfect when I'm done either, lol. That is at least partly due to the fact that I'm not going to be working on the site's look or layout, but on the code behind it. Many of you may have noticed that the site doesn't work well in Chrome or Firefox and we need to fix that. We also need to fix problems behind the scenes that our users don't see, but that Google does. I think some of these problems are costing us traffic.

If we can fix them maybe we will get more visitors. That will lead to more users which will lead to more features. We also really need to add forums back to the site. We need you guys feedback and we would also appreciate any volunteer help.

Someone suggested that we should convert the game info pages to a Wiki format and let the fans do the editing themselves. I think this is a great idea, but I'm not sure where to start and I doubt I have the have the time right now.

I any event, we will be working away this week. If any of you have any thoughts or suggestions feel free to comment here or on Facebook. You can also shoot me an e-mail if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment