Friday, February 15, 2013

A Lot of Chatter

This week has been filled with chatter. WoM (Worlds of Magic) has a forums setup where people can discuss possible game features, talk about what they want to see (or fear to see) and share their hopes and dreams with the world. At least, dreams about WoM. If you would like to be part of this beautiful process feel free to join us:

Worlds of Magic Forums

As we get more and more traffic to the forums we get more and more questions, which means more and more answers, which means me typing and typing and typing....

As a result I've gotten very little actual coding done this week. Of course, another reason for that was that the code length for the D20 system I'm working on had gotten ridiculously long. In classic Aaron fashion I refused to break the thing up into multiple files until absolutely necessary. Well, somewhere along the 2K line it became necessary. I was literally spending more time moving up and down the pages of existing code than writing new code! So, I had to take the time to break the primary class into around ten sub-files. Now it's much easier to work with and I have high hopes for what I'm going to be able to get done next week.

Over the course of the weekend I tinkered with the terrain generation system. Well by “tinkered” I mean I basically redesigned the way it works. I am VERY satisfied with the results. I generated a world map (just the basics: water,coats,plains,hills and mountains) of over four million tiles (2048x2048) in just over a second. That is unplayably huge, so it can do way more than it needs to. I need to add the extras like forests and rivers, but I don't think that's going to be too bad. Either way, the terrain generation system is well underway.

In other and more CC related news: The site redesign goes well. It's still going to be a few weeks before it get's put in place, but it's getting there step by step. We should have more news soon.

For the moment I have to take a break. My hands are starting to hurt from typing. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment